Sunday, March 29, 2009

More Syrup

We had a pretty nice weekend once again, with this weekend  bringing all sorts of visitors and help.
Beyond Tim, Bethany and Sonny (the usual suspects), we had a great visit from Bob, Katy, Tess, Lynsey, Steve, Barry, Matt, Wynn, Resse, Wyatt...and I think that was it, if you exclude the kids from the neighborhood who I don't know..... If I missed you and know your name, sorry :)

Friday night I started with boiling through about 930 PM just to make a dent in the 110 gallons we had sitting.  I also had Tim enrout with 50 gallons (trashcan estimate!) and my buckets had been soaking for 2 days so I know they were full. I managed to get through 
50 or so gallons which was a big help. Saturday we fired the evaporator up at 8 am and went all out. We had some nice time with visitors coming and going to check out the operation- see what making syrup is all about. I get the feeling most people have an idea on how syrup is made, but when they see it- that is when they have a new appreciation for it. You will never look at a bottle of Aunt Jemima or Log Cabin in the same way again. Those be fighting words at our house.

The picture below shows the 4 gallons and a 1/2 pint we pulled off this afternoon when we finished it. I hope to get some more pictures soon and I will post them.

We hope the season keeps going- for at least another 2 weeks or until we run out of wood to keep the fire going.  The below pictures show the almost ready syrup getting to that final temperature before filtering, and the second picture is "our catch" of the weekend.

No comments: